What is the Sports Grant?
The Government is providing funding of £450 million per annum for academic years 2013 - 2016 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding will be allocated to primary school headteachers.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. OFSTED will play a significant role in ensuring that schools target this funding in areas which will lead to clear outcomes in raising standards and opportunities in PE and school sport for all children throughout the Primary Phase. All schools will receive a lump sum of £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per pupil for the next two academic years.
SS Peter and Paul Catholic Primary school uses the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport we offer.
We have used the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
We have done this by:
- hiring qualified sports coaches to work with teachers and to teach more skilled lessons to pupils
- provide our existing PE coordinator with training or resources to help support with the teaching of sport more effectively
- introducing new sports and activities which have encouraged more pupils to take up sport; for example tennis, dance and cricket
- running sport competitions with local schools and other local authorities these have included swimming galas
- updating the sports equipment so that it is fit for purpose and pupils have access to it at other times outside of the allocated PE sessions
Click on the link below to view how we will be spending the Sports Grant.