Early Years Foundation Stage
Children start their learning journey here at SS Peter and Paul Catholic Primary School in our Foundation Stage where strong relationships are developed between home and school. We believe that parents are our partners. Our children and staff work together to develop a curriculum which is interesting and exciting, incorporating the children’s ideas and interests. Our children learn well in the attractive and inviting play areas and staff use imaginative ways of stimulating children’s learning (Ofsted, May 2016).
We plan rich play-based learning opportunities, and evaluate and assess the children to ensure that ALL children’s next steps and targets are planned for. Their progress is mapped within their own personalised portfolio which is shared with children and parents to celebrate success and share their next steps in learning. Educators use a range of methods to track, assess and plan for children including an app which provides parents with instant and pertinent observations, and an opportunity to respond and give feedback.
We provide creative and inspiring, play-based learning environments both inside and outside. Within these environments we nurture confidence, risk taking and develop independence in thinking and learning with Jesus at the heart of everything we do.
There are seven key areas of learning in the Foundation Stage, with an emphasis upon the Prime areas progressing onto the Specific areas:
- Communication and Language; developing speaking, listening and understanding
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development; developing social skills, self-confidence, self-awareness and learning how to manage feeling and behaviour
- Physical Development; developing large motor movements such as running, jumping, throwing, catching etc., as well as fine motor movements such as mark making, writing and tracing. Children also develop their health and self-care.
- Literacy; developing Reading, Writing and knowledge of Phonics
- Maths; developing Number and Space, Shape and Measure
- Understanding of the World; developing their knowledge of People and Communities, The World and Technology
- Expressive Arts and Design; developing and nurturing childrens’ creative talents through art, singing as well as developing their imaginary play skills.
Our Nursery and Reception classes share a large outdoor space as well as having their own undercover areas, enabling outdoor access whatever the weather. Children start Nursery in the term after they are three years old. If children start in January or April, they move to Reception the following September, after completing four or five terms respectively.
We currently offer 15 hours of Nursery provision per week, and have Wraparound care onsite, provided by Jigsaw Nursery for those families who require additional childcare. Further details of Wraparound care can be found here www.jigsawnurserymitcham.co.uk
The Headteacher offers open mornings and tours throughout the year, where families are very welcome to come and visit our school. Please contact the school office for more information.